Diwali, or Deepavali, is the Hindu festival of lights celebrated annually and one of the most popular festivals of Hinduism.
#SOUTHAFRICA: Diwali symbolises the spiritual “victory of light over darkness, good over evil and knowledge over ignorance”
Diwali, one of the most prominent festivals celebrated in India, indicates the triumph of light over darkness, of good over evil. This year it will be celebrated on October 27. The festival of lights is observed on the day of ‘Amavasya’ or new moon, the 15th day of Kartik, according to the Hindi calendar. Starting at the end of the cropping season, it is often associated with wealth and happiness.
Diwali celebration dates are as follows
- Saturday, 26 October , 2019 – Deepavali (South Indians)
- Sunday, 27 October, 2019 – Diwali (North Indians)
Looking for a Diwali festival to enjoy in South Africa?
These public events for Diwali are subject to change for 2019, to be confirmed later.
- Lenasia: HCC Diwali Festival click here
- Midrand: India Cares Diwali Dinner: click here
- Pretoria: Tshwane Diwali Festival click here
- Durban: Tongaat Diwali Festival click here
- Cape Town: Diwali Fest TBA
- Nelson Mandela Bay TBA
This Diwali, light up your homes with our festive recipes. Ditch the elaborate presentation and fancy ingredients, here are super-easy solutions to soothe your aching sweet tooth.