Kavady is a 10-day period which focuses primarily around the worship of Lord Muruga who represents the six senses of our human existence.
The abishegam is the purification of the Kavady that will generally commence on the day before the main day from 9am onwards.
When is 2018 Chitra Paruvam Kavady?
The Johannesburg Melrose Shree Siva Subramaniar Temple flag hoisting for the 2018 Chitra Paruvam Kavady will start at 6pm on Friday, 20 April 2018. Daily obayams will be offered.
The main day celebration, where devotees will carry their offerings or kavadies, will be a street procession from the Chinese Park through the suburb to the Temple grounds on Sunday, 29 April 2018, starting at 8am.
Please contact Guru on 079 696 6445 or Secretary on 0836307466 for more information on bookings and obayams.
Find your inventory list of items that you need to have for your experience of Kavady.
Requirements for Abhishegam:
- All abishegam goods are generally provided by the temple for a nominal fee.
- You are required to bring a bucket and jug for washing your Kavady and garlands for decoration
- 3 Lemons/Limes
- 2 Strings to tie the milk
- 1 Betel Nut
- 3 incense sticks
- 3 Camphor
Requirements for the main day Kavady festival:
- 2 Brass Somboos
- 3 Pkts camphor
- 1 Bottle oil
- 1 Coconut
- 1 Betel leave
- Fruit and Milk
Important Guidelines at all temples
- Devotees that are piercing to ensure that you arrange with a reliable person who is experienced to pierce you on day of the main prayer.
- Devotees that are expecting to go into a state of Trance are requested to bring all their necessary requirements e.g. tray, ashes, Vel, rosewater etc.
- Devotees should remember no piercing or state of Trance are allowed in the temple.
- All devotees carrying Kavady are to remove the flowers from their Kavady after the procession.
- Please do not leave the temple until your turmeric string is removed after the de- hoisting of the flag.
All devotees are requested to dress appropriately: Ladies to either wear a Sari or Punjabi. Men to either wear a Kurta or white trouser and white shirt/T-shirt. A leather belt should not be worn. click here to read our guidelines on etiquette at temples.
When is Thaipoosam Kavady 2019?
- Thaipusam Kodiyetram (flag hoisting) 22nd January 2018 | Thai Kavady 31st January 2018 click here for our Kavady resources