These amazing pictures of India will show you how India was before Independence, far before you were even born. The good ol’ days, really.
1. This image of Tagore and Einstein brings geniuses from worlds apart together.
2. A man climbs up an electric pole to see the last rites of Gandhiji’s funeral.
3. Indira Gandhi with Benazir Bhutto and Zulfikar Ali Bhutto (her father).
4. Rajiv Gandhi weds Sonia Gandhi.
5. Tagore is greeted by Helen Keller.
6. The last surviving picture of Bhagat Singh while he was jailed.
7. The Beatles during their time at Maharishi Mahesh Yogi’s ashram at Rishikesh in India
8. Lokmanya Tilak was cremated in the sitting legs crossed position (padmasana), a distinction given only to saints.
9. The Times of India building at Elphinstone Circle in 1898.
10. The uniform of the Indian Army soldiers in 1850.
11. A spice food stall in Lahore, then still a part of India, in 1946.
12. Kapil Dev and Sunil Gavaskar with the trophy after winning the 1983 Cricket World Cup. Wonder what Gavaskar is checking for inside the cup!
13. Indian ambulances lined up in Chennai in the 1940s
14. An Air India airhostess aiding a passenger on a Delhi-Bombay flight in 1946.
15. Kumbh Mela in 1954.
16. Nehru and Indira Gandhi on the Moscow Subway in 1955.
17. Mahatma Gandhi during his time in South Africa in 1900.
18. Lord Mountbatten salutes the Indian National Flag.
19. The first Indian lady pilot, Sarla Thakral, at 21 years of age.
20. APJ Abdul Kalam with his college friends.
21. Anna Hazare during his days in the Indian Army.