Taresh Hareeparshad has kept listeners on SABC’s national broadcasting station of LotusFM in tune with news and current affairs, but did you know that there was one place he was never allowed to speak?! Or that he is in love with someone?
We got up, close and personal with Taresh last week and played twenty questions with him. Get your cup of chai and find out more about this award winning radio journalist that hails from Durban, South Africa.
- At what age did you decide this is the career you wanted ?I enjoyed writing from grade 10 in high school. But studying Macbeth in Grade 12 made my decision then and there: I wanted to be a writer. By 2006 as I completed studies: I guess plans changed from writing to voicing.
- What does your work mean to you? Is it fulfilling?My work is absolutely important to me. I take a lot of pride in it- always trying to be meticulous and perfect in the smallest details of my craft. And telling a story of relevance to the people who listen to me warms my heart.
- Who are your inspirations?Journalistically the team i work with inspires me to do great work. There’s just such a great energy here. And I have to say that my sporting icon Roger Federer inspires me greatly: to work hard despite the challenges, love what you do and just remain graceful throughout it all.
- What is your favorite type of dance to learn and/or watch? I watch a lot of kathak. I’m obsessed with kathak.
- What’s the three things you never leave home without?Wallet, cell phone and this special yellow topaz ring from India that my cousin gifted me for good luck.
- Lovelife? Care to share?I am happily in love with myself.
- Consider yourself a Masterchef in the kitchen?Paneer or pesto: I’m your guy!
- Do you have advice for anyone wanting to start dance or act?Practice. Practice. Practice. And when you finished- go back and practice.
- What is your favorite TV show?I love Isidingo: very proud of the South African talent on the show. And Dance India Dance!
- What is your favorite past TV show?Gossip Girl. All those suits Chuck Bass wore: etched in my memory. (and my wardrobe)
- If you were stuck in one TV show which one would it have to be?I’d say Big Bang Theory: because many of my friends say that I’m as obnoxious and sarcastic as Sheldon. Ya, sounds about right.
- What is your favorite movie?Hard question: Pardes/ Black/ Anything with Cate Blanchett
- What was the last movie you saw in the movie theatre?Cinderella. Only for Cate Blanchett.
- What do you like to do in your free time?Spend a lot of time with my friends. I gym daily. I’m a yoga addict. And music is my passion.
- What is your favorite restaurant/food place where you live? I Always have a nice meal out with the boys at the Ocean Basket up the road.
- Do you have any pets?Touchy subject: my dog Soham passed away a year ago.
- If you had a soundtrack to your life what song/songs would have to be on it?The Dil To Pagal Hai soundtrack: love and dance, could anyone ask for more?
- What charity is closest to your heart?SPCA: animals also suffer.
- Do you have a favorite quote or saying that is always on your mind? No one saves us but ourselves: We alone must walk the path- The Buddha. And because I say it every day on air: Hey, Have an Awesome Day!
- Best travel experience, what made it a special memory?It was a stay at the beautiful Buddhist Retreat Centre in Ixopo with my dear friend Minoshni Pillay. It was a shock to the system but filled with so much of knowledge and depth that we left there highly elevated. Don’t ask me how I managed to obey the rule of Noble Silence and NOT speak.
Follow Taresh on Twitter today on @taresh_h