The best female jazz singers in music history have a sound that’s like no other. Their melodies and tones captivate us and keep us coming back for more. Many of the women on this list have been gone for decades, but their incomparable jazz vocals will live on forever. Now one of them that is still here we want to talk about is homegrown Natalie Rungan.
We did the #spicepeople QnA with her so you get to know a little more on this Jazz ROCKSTAR!
- At what age did you decide this is the career you wanted ?
I think around 20.
- What do you think of the #LocalMusic problem/solution that SABC has implemented?
As an artist I love it cos we benefit from this decision immensely. Previously trying to get radio play was an absolute struggle. Now people who have never heard my music have the chance to. It’s fantastic.
- What does your work mean to you? Is it fulfilling?
Music is an extension of who I am. It provides a medium through which I can express the thoughts and ideas I have about life and love. It is completely fulfilling, as it’s the most natural thing for me to do. I can get lost in this world for hours even days, with the freedom to just be me.
- Who are your inspirations?
So many things. People inspire me. I learn so much from everyday life and just observing reactions to different situations. Love inspires me. And my faith in God inspires me to not just write about that but to want to be the best form of me.
- What’s the three things you never leave home without?
Cell phone, shoes, hmmmmm….drivers license (I could get arrested without that one)…lol
- Love life? Care to share?
Hahaha..I love my life and that I get to do what I love is such a blessing. Every day is different from the previous one. I get to make music. I get to write music and I get to share that music with so many people. Some I never get to meet, but through my music they get to know me.
- Consider yourself a Masterchef in the kitchen?
My husband thinks so…lol…but yes I love cooking. I see food in pictures in my mind and all I do I try to create that picture when I cook.
- Do you have advice for anyone wanting to start dance, act, play an instrument, sing??
Work. Work. And WORK. To walk towards a dream is not an easy task and hard work is the least that you can do to achieve your goals. Always remember why you are starting this journey. Money is generally not the reason anyone pursues the arts but it’s a by-product of something far more valuable. Let the dream by central to the reason you are pursuing it. That way the motives are pure.
- What is your favorite TV show?
The fixer (Scandal)
- What is your favorite past TV show?
- If you were stuck in one TV show which one would it have to be?
The fixer…lol…I think I’m addicted to this show
- What is your favorite movie?
The Matrix 1
- What was the last movie you saw in the movie theatre?
- What do you like to do in your free time?
This varies depending on my mood…bake, write music, shop online
- What is your favorite restaurant/food place where you live?
Pop up Society in Davenport
- Do you have any pets?
A yorkie named Foxy Brown, but she lives with my mum.
- If you had a soundtrack to your life what song/songs would have to be on it?
We are not going to have enough space for this answer…lol…”One moment in time”-Whitney Houston, “You make me brave”-bethel, “Africa my home”-Natalie Rungan (me)
- What charity is closest to your heart?
C.H.O.C-I’m actually an ambassador for them
Do you have a favorite quote or saying that is always on your mind?
If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. “Henry David Thoreau”
Listen to Natalie here!