ANC spokesman Jackson Mthembu has declared war on SABC chief operating officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng, saying: “At the highest managerial level we are lacking. That’s why we keep moving from one crisis to another.”
Economic editor Thandeka Gqubule‚ executive editor at Radio Sonder Grense Foeta Krige‚ and
Last week‚ executive producer of SAFM current affairs executive producer Krivani Pillay‚ executive producer of Special Assignment Busisiwe Ntuli and senior investigative reporter Jacques Steenkamp were charged with liaising with the media.
The three wrote a letter to Motsoeneng registering their displeasure over recent developments at the SABC.
Mthembu spoke out this Tuesday as the controversy over Motsoening grew, with more SABC editors and journalists facing disciplinary action as a result of criticising the #SABCCensorship row. Motsoeneng banned the airing of images of protests and limited the coverage of opposition parties.
“We will calling for an inquiry into the allegations, which tarnish the ANC,” he said.
Mthembu said the current crisis “cannot be allowed to continue any further and can definitely not be allowed to continue in the name of the ANC”.
He said the ANC had asked Communications Minister Faith Muthambi to investigate management at the broadcaster.
“You need to ensure that we have people who know how to run an institution as big as the SABC. You can’t bring any Tom, Dick or Harry to run the SABC.”