Tsogo Sun is broadening its far-reaching policies for entrepreneur development with Supplier Showcases in major centres that are aimed at providing market and development access to small, medium and micro enterprises.
Tsogo Sun, together with subsidiaries that included the group’s KZN hotels, Suncoast, Blackrock and Golden Horse Casinos, and HCI Limited and its subsidiaries, hosted the group’s fourth Supplier Showcase on 17 August for 30 SMMEs at Garden Court South Beach.
Comments Candy Tothill, Tsogo Sun’s GM of Corporate Affairs, “Tsogo Sun is a proudly South African corporate that takes its responsibility towards assisting entrepreneurs and contributing to economic growth very seriously. One of the three primary sectors within our Citizenship strategy is dedicated to entrepreneur and supplier development, under the banner of Tsogo Sun Entrepreneurs.”
Essentially, Tsogo Sun Entrepreneurs focuses on skills-based entrepreneurial development as well as on providing preferential procurement opportunities to qualifying and predominantly black-owned small businesses.
At the Supplier Showcases, the SMMEs are given the opportunity to showcase their products and services, gain exposure to potential new markets, and attend a workshop about procurement to help them target and secure new clients. The first two Supplier Showcases were held in Johannesburg, one of which was in partnership with the City of Joburg – Department of Economic Development. The third was held at Southern Sun Newlands in Cape Town on 28 July.
As an additional feature of the Supplier Showcases, qualifying suppliers at the events are being given an opportunity to participate in the Tsogo Sun Entrepreneurs Development Programme, which announces new intakes annually in October.
“Tsogo Sun Entrepreneurs has evolved strategically over 10 years and is now a comprehensive programme that is adapted for different business types, providing an over-arching and practical range of offerings that are contributing to growth within emerging businesses,” says Tothill.
- Support and benefits of the Tsogo Sun Entrepreneurs programme include:
- Skills transfer – business development, coaching, mentorship
- Value-added benefits – endorsement, memberships, marketing, publicity
- Shared services – extranet, call centre, preferential discounts, business support
- Business tools – risk assessment and recommendations, software systems, furniture and equipment
- Supply chain network – access to markets, networking opportunities
- Recognition – entrepreneur rewards, certification, awards, case studies