From memories of kitchens at home to restaurant venues across the country, food is one of our favourite obsessions.
This is the first article in a IndianSpice series @TsogoSun #OnAPlate, on the diversity and vibrancy of food from the chefs of Tsogo Sun’s hotels and venues!
Seafood HotPot with Smoked Paprika Rouille
Prawn, mussel, calamari and salmon simmered in rich tomato and chilli garlic cream with roasted fennel. Served with smoked paprika rouille on cinnamon bread.
- 60ml Olive Oil
- 1 TBSP Garlic Paste
- 1 Stalk Celery Diced
- 1 Carrot Diced
- ½ Medium Onion finely diced
- 1 Medium Fennel
- 1 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 Cup Dry White Wine
- 5 or 6 Ripe Tomatoes (Skinned, Deseeded and Chopped)
- ½ tsp Sugar
- 6 Cups Fish or Chicken Stock
- 1 bouquet garni or 1 teaspoon 1/2 dried oregano & 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (1tsp if Fresh)
- 2 Bay leaves
- Total of 1kg combined
- Deveined Prawns, Salmon sliced, Calamari and Mussels in Shell
Smoked paprika rouille
- 100ml Good Quality Mayonnaise
- 2ml Chilli Flakes
- ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
- Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve
- Slice fennel into 2mm slices, grill on hot griller to form Char grilled marks, remove and set aside
- Add Olive oil into a large stockpot and place onto heat
- Add diced Celery, Carrot, onion and Garlic paste
- Continue until vegetables are soft, add tomato paste and stir in well
- Add wine to deglaze simmer until alcohol has cooked out
- Add the tomatoes and sugar continue to simmer for 5 minutes
- Pour in fish stock, add Bay leaves 1 bouquet garni OR dried/fresh oregano and dried/fresh thyme
- Stir Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add Salmon and Calamari simmer for 3 minutes
- Add Char grilled Fennel Slices, Prawns and Mussels simmer for further 3 minutes.
- Remove Bay leaves and bouquet garni
- Season to taste with Salt and ground black pepper
- Garnish with fresh chopped fresh parsley
Serve with Toasted French bread slices smeared with Smoked paprika rouille