Woorandai (Urandai, Wooranda), is the filling inside Gulgula’s made for Purtassi prayers. It is usually made with Gram Dhal, dessicated coconut, elachi (cardamom) and sugar.
Amma usually made Woorandai with breyani dhal or black lentils.
How to Make Woorandai
To make larger quantities increase the ingredients proportionately.
- 1 cup Gram dhal (or lentils of your choice)
- Desired limit sugar
- Half cup desiccated coconut
- Half teaspoon elachi powder
Optional: Condensed Milk if you have trouble binding the mixture or use as a substitute for sugar
1. Pre-boil lentils until soft. Drain off excess water. Cool.
2. Combine cooled lentils with all other ingredients to form a soft dough
3. Refrigerate for 30 minutes until the mixture is slightly firm
4. Roll into a small ball. Store in refrigerator until use.