That Animal Hlaudi Will Remain At SABC

The SABC defies the Supreme Court of Appeal and will allow Motsoeneng to remain at the SABC. 

Hlaudi Motsoeneng has announced that he will apply for the job of COO, from which he was removed by the Supreme Court of Appeals.

“I’m going to apply for the job, it’s a given. I qualify for the job,” he told a media briefing at the broadcaster’s Auckland Park headquarters.

Sporting a new hat, the SABC’s former COO said: “SABC is very interesting. I’m also very interesting.”

Referring to his new job, he said: “When there is dark, I feel light! I’m going to ensure that that position is more exciting and does what it is supposed to do!”

“People have been talking about Hlaudi’s stress. Hlaudi will never have stress. I’m a different animal.”

hlaudi motsoeneng

“When it comes to court matters, several times I mentioned through my lawyer that I respect court processes,” he said. He said that a minority of media and political parties were behind the controversy over him.

“People push certain agenda and they mislead the public.

 

“Everywhere where I go, people support Hlaudi – worse in the rural areas because you know I’m a rural boy. He added: “There’s only one Hlaudi in South Africa.”

“I want to applaud the people who applaud this wonderful person called Hlaudi!”

But Loyiso Gola isn’t one of them applauding him. Sunday evening, Gola didn’t hold back his anger on Twitter against the suspended SABC boss, claiming that Hlaudi had sold the entire SABC archive for a twelfth of its value and deserved to be fired.The SABC has denied this.

https://twitter.com/loyisogola/status/779990639081578496

In the Public Protector’s report‚ titled “When Governance and Ethics Fail”‚  Thuli Madonsela found that Motsoeneng had lied about his matric qualifications and also increased his salary unfairly. She recommended that legal action be taken against Motsoeneng as his appointment was unlawful.

Despite the findings of the report and recommendation by Madonsela, Communications

Minister Faith Muthambi confirmed Motsoeneng’s permanent appointment in 2014 as COO.

Professor Mbulaheni Maguvhe, chair of the broadcaster’s board added that when the job of chief operating officer is advertised that Motsoeneng can apply.  Motsoeneng confirmed he would be applying for the job.

Motsoeneng’s position as COO was found to be invalid after the Supreme Court of Appeal dismissed his application for leave to appeal a High Court in Cape Town ruling‚ which set aside his permanent appointment.

BONUS MILLIONS FOR HLAUDI

The Sunday Times reported that the SABC paid a secret R10-million bonus into Motsoeneng’s bank account for negotiating a contract with MultiChoice to create SABC channels on DStv dating back to 2013.

Responding to a question about claims he received a R10m bonus from the SABC, he said: “I’m not going there! Don’t spoil the party man. Now you are talking about employer-employee issues. I’m not going there!”

WHAT YOU SHOULD READ: The SABC Chronicles click here

This week‚ President Jacob Zuma‚ the ANC and Parliament distanced themselves from the leadership crisis at the broadcaster.

The ANC’s spokesperson Zizi Kodwa’s on Monday called for “Parliament to summon the SABC to comprehensively account on the state of the corporation and its reported challenges”.

Parliament’s Portfolio Committee on Communications issued a statement that it would‚ in the next fortnight‚ meet with the board of the SABC over the SCA judgment on the invalid appointment of Motsoeneng.

And the Presidency on Friday commented that it “noted and respects the judgment of the Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA)” The Presidency’s statement noted that at a meeting “between government and the judiciary last year‚ it was reaffirmed that government would respect court rulings”. “Government fully abides by that undertaking‚” the statement added.

The latest controversy comes ahead of the release of the SABC’s financial results on Thursday, which is expected to show the broadcaster posted a R377.7-million loss for the 2015-2016 financial year to the end of March.

Source: The Times, Rand Daily Mail


About Naufal Khan

Publisher & editor of Indian Spice.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.