With colder weather extending through to August, what better way to keep warm through the winter than by indulging in some sweet treats with your favourite hot drink.
One of the Granny Mouse Country House & Spa Culinary Artists, Kirstie Du Toit, has created a light chocolate infused dessert recipe, which is sure to sweeten up your kitchen this winter.
To make the crepes you will need:
- 220g All Purpose Flour
- 2Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 312ml Milk
- Sift the flour and the cocoa powder into a bowl.
- Make a well in the middle and add the beaten egg.
- Gradually mix in the flour by folding the flour from the sides into the egg.
- Slowly add in the milk and mix well.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a lid and let it stand for 30min before use.
- Heat a pan on low heat and spray with non-stick spray.
- Drop 1 teaspoon of oil into the pan and make sure to cover the surface of the pan.
- Pour in the crepe mix, the amount you pour into the pan depends on how thick your crepes will be.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the pan and cook until the sides come loose, then flip over.
- Cook the other side for a few minutes and remove onto a plate.
- Continue this until the mixture is finished.
- Cover the pancakes with cling wrap until needed.
What you will need for the brandied bananas:
- 2 Bananas, thinly sliced
- 1 tot Brandy
- 30g Brown Sugar
- 30g Butter
- In a pan, melt the butter over a high heat.
- Add in the bananas, but make sure that they don’t overlap; you want to brown them evenly.
- Once brown on both sides, add in the sugar and brandy.
- Use a lighter and set the brandy on fire, do be careful that you don’t burn yourself.
- Once the flame dies, it means the alcohol has cooked out.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
What you will need for the chocolate sauce:
- 100g Dark Chocolate
- 100ml Cream
- 15ml Butter
- Place a pot filled with water on the stove and bring to the boil.
- Get a glass or metal bowl that is big enough to fit on the pot, however, the bottom should not touch the water.
- Bring the water down to a simmer.
- Put the chocolate in the bowl and place over the pot and then melt the chocolate slowly. Add the butter.
- Then, heat the cream and butter.
- Once the chocolate is melted add in the heated cream mix and whisk well.
- Make sure all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Take a crepe and place some banana in the middle in a straight line.
- Drizzle some chocolate sauce over and roll up.
- Continue until the crepes are done.
- If desired, drizzle some more chocolate sauce over the crepes.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.