Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday said that its order of last November banning the sale of firecrackers in Delhi-National Capital Region (NCR) will continue till 31 October.
A bench headed by Justice AK Sikri said the apex court’s 12 September order permitting sale of firecrackers would be effective from 1 November.
Diwali is on 19 October and the order effectively means that no firecrackers will be available for purchase before the festival.
A report in The Hindu quoted the apex court as saying on Monday:
“Let’s try out at least one Diwali without firecrackers.”
The top court said it has not changed the 12 September order but its 11 November, 2016 order banning the sale of firecrackers “should be given a chance”.
The top court, through the 2016 order, had suspended all licences which “permit sale of fireworks, wholesale and retail within the territory of NCR”.
On 12 September this year, the apex court had temporarily lifted its earlier order and permitted sale of firecrackers.
The apex court’s order came on a plea seeking restoration of the November 2016 order.
During the hearing on the plea seeking restoration of last year’s order, the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) had told the bench that they “support” the application.
Advocate Gopal Shankarnarayanan, appearing for petitioner Arjun Gopal, had contended before the court that ban on use of firecrackers should be restored as the NCR had witnessed a huge rise in air pollution during and after Diwali last year.
He had said that rise in air pollution during last Diwali was because of several reasons, including the extensive use of firecrackers.
The counsel, appearing for the permanent licencees selling crackers, had opposed the plea and said the 12 September order temporarily lifting the ban, was “well-reasoned” and passed after hearing all the parties, including the CPCB.