The tent has been sprung, the ovens preheated and 12 of the country’s best amateur bakers are showing off their showcase their baking skills through a series of challenging tasks.
This creative competition show is sure to provide inspiration and delicious fun as the amateurs go all out to impress the judges with their originality and skill, ultimately hoping to bake their way to the final.
Each week the bakers will be given a new technique to master that will stretch their baking skills as they race against the clock, and each other, to deliver a show-stopping, mouth-watering creation. However, after nine weeks of whisking and piping, only one can emerge victorious.
Cake Week kicked off the third season of The Great South African Bake Off last Tuesday night.
Twelve contestants were put to the test with lamingtons, otherwise known as ystervarkies, and a Battenburg cake in the signature and technical rounds. But it was the showstopper round that ultimately saw the exit of the first contestant, Ameer Cloete in this year’s competition.
Ameer Cloete, a Capetonian student made it through the first two bakes and then disaster as his showstopper let him down when he served the judges an incomplete cake.
Watch The Great South African Bake Off every Tuesday on BBC Lifestyle (DStv 174) at 20:00.
Eleven Recipe Variations of the Lamington for you to download and try!
- Ameer’s Banana Cotton Lamingtons click here
- Alice’s Blueberry Coconut Lamingtons click here
- Bianca’s Matcha, Dark Chocolate Lamingtons with Pistachio Crumbs click here
- Bryan’s Choc Mousse Lamingtons click here
- Cameron’s Orange Poppy Coconut Lamingtons click here
- Desmond’s Rose flavored lamingtons covered with coconut click here
- Gerrard’s Tiramisu Lamingtons click here
- Madeline’s Zebratjies click here
- Nokukhanya’s Chocolate Peacan Lamington sandwich click here
- Sibongile’s CocoPine lamingtons click here
- Simmi’s Amarula Ystervarkies click here
Channel24 had a quick chat with outgoing contestant Ameer Cloete about what went wrong and who he’s rooting for in the Bake Off tent. To read that interview click here