Skip the white elephant gifts and make spiced rum instead! Sip on its own or drink with a splash of coke, or go really crazy and use it in Eggnog! You can’t go wrong…except for not trying it in the first place!
The secret: Start with good rum, and don’t over-infuse the mixture.
Find the most fun bottle you can at the store, use that as the base for your recipe, and then fill it back up with your homemade version.
All we needed were some spices and orange peel.
- 1 bottle (750 milliliters) medium-bodied aged rum. Try Plantation Barbados Rum. Other suggested rums are: El Dorado 5 Year, Mount Gay Eclipse Black or Appleton Estate V/X)
- 3 all-spice berries
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 cardamom pod
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/8 teaspoon whole nutmeg, grated
- 5”-6” strip of orange peel (no white pith)
- ½ vanilla bean
- Garnish: Orange slices & Star Anise, optional
- Combine all ingredients except the vanilla bean in a lidded 1-quart jar.
- Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape the seeds into the rum mixture and add the bean. Cover the jar tightly and shake one minute.
- Place the Spiced Rum in a dark place for 2 days. After 24 hours, shake it again.
- Strain the Spiced Rum through a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth into a clean bottle. Throw away the spices.
- Spiced Rum will keep indefinitely. Be sure to store in an airtight, glass container and in a dark, dry place.