Thai Basil Chicken Recipe also known as Pad Krapow Gai is a classic Thai take on crispy fried chicken dunked in a sweet and spicy gravy flavored with basil leaves.
The dish takes not much time to make and can be served as a quick starter for your Thai main course. All you needs some Thai holy basil that is tossed along with caramelized garlic which fills the air with wonderful aromas.
If you are looking for more Chicken recipes here are some :
- 300 grams Chicken , cut into small pieces
- 1 Whole Egg
- 1/4 cup Corn flour
- Salt and Pepper , to taste
- 5 sprig Basil leaves
- 2 Fresh Red chillies , chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic , chopped
- 1 Green bell peppers , sliced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Cooking oil
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoon Red Chilli sauce (Sichuan Sauce)
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tomato Ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Corn flour
- 1 cup Water
- To begin making the Thai Basil Chicken Recipe, thoroughly wash and clean the chicken.
- In a mixing bowl , combine one egg, to this add corn flour, salt and pepper and mix well. Add the chicken pieces as well and sprinkle some water if the mixture appears too thick.
- The batter must be of the right consistency-not too thick but not too thin either. esuring the chicken is coated well.
- To pan fry the chicken, heat oil in a pan on medium heat, place the coated chicken pieces and stir fry till it turns into a nice brown colour. This will take about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove on an absorbent paper and set aside.
To make the sauce.
- In a mixer-jar, pound the red chilies and garlic into a coarse paste with absolutely no water
- Mix all the ingredients for the sauce which includes- Red chili sauce, Soy sauce, tomato ketchup and corn flour by adding 1/2 a cup of water into a bowl. Mix well and keep it aside.
- Heat a saucepan with oil, add mashed garlic and red chillies and saute on low heat. Add sliced bell peppers and saute till they soften.
- Add in the sauce mixture and stir well. When it starts to thicken, add in the chicken pieces and mix well.
- Finally add the basil leaves and mix well, switch off the heat and serve warm.
- Serve the Thai Basil Chicken Recipe (Pad Krapow Gai) along with Chilli Coriander Fried Rice Recipe and Spicy Vegetable Noodles Recipes to make it a complete meal.
Source: Archana’s Kitchen