Actor, comedian Preven Reddy is on a high as he just announced his role in the daily television soapie, Imbewu: The Seed.
Indian Spice recently caught up with up with Preven Reddy on his aspirations as an actor and got to know him better in this Spice People interview which you can read here
- At what age did you decide this is the career you wanted ?
I knew I wanted to be in the entertainment industry at a very young age. I have always been passionate about performing since as long I can remember. My love for comedy had only begun about 4 years ago, by then I was already working in the industry as an actor and in production. When I did my first one man show was when I realized that I wanted to make comedy a full time job.
- What does your work mean to you? Is it fulfilling?
My work is my chance to make people smile and laugh no matter what they’re going through, even if it is just for 2 minutes. The reason I got into ‘Facebook’ comedy apart from my live shows is because I felt like there was just so much negative things going around on Facebook, and still is to this day. So I thought if I could add some humour to people’s timelines, then it wouldn’t be such a dark place. Reading the comments and inboxes from people thanking me for making their day etc is the most fulfilling part.
- Who are your inspirations?
My life inspirations are my parents, if there’s one thing I’ve learnt from them is that nothing comes easy and you have to work so hard to get what you want. My comedy inspiration is Mindy Kalling. She’s a writer, comedian and actress and she’s somehow found a way to do all those things at the same time.
- What’s the three things you never leave home without?
My phone, my charger cable (Don’t laugh), and my lip-ice
- Love life? Care to share?
Love Life…what’s that and where do I get one??
- Consider yourself a Masterchef in the kitchen?
Yes yes yes! But not a Nigella kill the food by using lots of butter type, I’m known in my family for being the ‘health nut’ so I’m always making my own healthy food. If my family orders pizza, I’m busy making an alternative healthy version…and it tastes just as great!
- Do you have advice for anyone wanting to start dance, act, play an instrument, sing??
Start! If you are passionate about something, and you know that you are genuinely good at it, then start! Go to auditions, put yourself out there online. We live in a world where you don’t need to wait for your big break, if you put in the work and put yourself out there, your talent will speak for itself.
- What is your favorite TV show?
Currently, Brooklyn Nine-Nine
- What is your favorite past TV show?
- If you were stuck in one TV show which one would it have to be?
Prison Break…cause whatever happens I know no matter how many times I go to prison, I’ll still get out.
- What is your favorite movie?
Black Panther – After seeing it I officially decided no other movie could top it.
- What was the last movie you saw in the movie theatre?
- What do you like to do in your free time?
I love to read in my free time, I also like to watch as many comedy specials as I can on Netflix just to see the kind of comedy that’s out there.
- What is your favorite restaurant/food place where you live?
So I currently live in JHB and DBN, my favourite place to eat in JHB at is the Fourways Farmers Market cause there’s so much to eat…And in Durban it’s Coconut Grove
- Do you have any pets?
I do! I have a Lab (Macy) and a Pug (Nala)…They’re the dog versions of Timone and Pumba
- If you had a soundtrack to your life what song/songs would have to be on it?
- These Streets – Mi Casa
- Back to the beach – Shekhinah & Kyle Deutsch
- Bad – Michael Jackson
- What charity is closest to your heart?
The Feed the Babies Fund… I remember them coming to our primary school years ago and the kids they find at such a young age really struck something in me. They do amazing work but not only feeding underprivileged kids but they also train caregivers, who are then able to branch out and help these kids. They also support over 200 creches in Durban, providing them with educational goods, clothes and food.
- Do you have a favorite quote or saying that is always on your mind?
Don’t worry, be happy. My grandfather used to quote that song all the time and it never really made sense to me as much as it does today and now that’s all I live by.
- Best travel experience, what made it a special memory?
My second trip to London this year. I travelled alone this time and I just got to explore and do more. It was very therapeutic to sort of roam a different country on my own.