Dal or lentils are densely packed with proteins, carbohydrates, fibre and lots of vitamins, and minerals; they are also essential to a vegetarian diet.
From simple curries, to elaborate puddings, the humble dal has got it all. This split green moong dal or moong dal chilka is delicious and nourishing. Pair it with fluffy brown rice for a healthy, wholesome meal.
Split Green Moong Dal
Prep time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 15-20 mins | Serves: 4
- 1 cup — Split green moong dal (moong dal chilka)
- 2tbsp — Ghee (use oil for vegan preparation)
- 1 pinch — Hing
- 1tsp — Cumin seeds
- 2 — Red chillies (dried)
- ½ inch — Ginger (chopped)
- 2 cloves — Garlic (minced)
- 1 — Green chilli (chopped)
- 1 — Onion (chopped)
- 1 — Tomato (chopped)
- 1tsp — Coriander powder
- ½ tsp — Turmeric powder
- Salt — To taste
- 1 — Lime
- Dried mint — To garnish
- * Wash the dal under running water. Soak for 1-2 hours in warm water.
- * Pressure cook the dal with 3 cups water and some salt and turmeric for 3-4 whistles. Remove from heat but open the cooker only after all the steam has escaped.
- * Heat ghee in a kadhai. Once the ghee is hot, add hing, cumin seeds, dried red chillies, ginger, garlic, and green chilli. Sauté for a minute. This gives a nice aroma to the ghee.
- * Next, add the chopped onions and cook for 4-5 minutes till the onions become soft.
- * Add tomatoes and all the spices. Mix well, add ½ cup water and cook covered for another 5 minutes till the masala is cooked.
- * Once the steam has escaped, open the pressure cooker, and add the cooked dal with the water to the masala.
- * Mix well and cook for another couple of minutes.
- * Before serving, add lime juice and garnish with dried mint or fresh coriander.