“Jonita

Triple Murder: Father speaks out; suspect in court

The husband and father of three slain Phoenix women sits with his head in hands outside the Verulam Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday as he waited for the man accused of their murder to apply for bail.

Sagren Govindsamy appeared dazed and overwhelmed as he sat quietly while community members gathered for a small protest.

Sagren Govindsamy (in the yellow and blue sweater) is the father and husband of the three women who were killed in Phoenix last Friday outside the Verulam Magistrate’s court on Tuesday.  Image: THULI DLAMINI – TIMESLIVE

The community of Phoenix, KZN are still reeling from shock after the gruesome discovery of a family found dead in their Longcroft flat.

Father speaks out for the first time

Mercury, journalist, Kailene Pillay sat down with Sagren Govindasamy who spoke for the first time, three days after he made the discovery of his family laying dead in their home.

Just last week the family of 4 were planning his birthday dinner as he turned 49 on Monday but now he is left to prepare their funerals.

Police arrested a 45-year-old man for the murders of Jane‚ 44‚ and her two daughters Denisha‚ 22‚ and 16-year-old Rackelle at their flat in Tasvir Mansion in Longcroft‚ Phoenix.

Police were then alerted. A sniffer dog later found Denisha’s body inside a wardrobe. It is believed the victims were murdered at different times with the killer pouncing on each as they arrived home.

A 45-year-old man was arrested on Saturday. According to the police, the man is known to the family. He will appear in the Verulam Magistrate’s Court on today, Tuesday 25 September 2018.

“I am devastated and so is the rest of the extended family. My family has been ripped from me. I don’t know what to do or what to say. I don’t know what’s happening,” said Govindasamy.

Speculation on social media is hurting the family

Yesterday, the family also dispelled rumours that the suspect was a friend.

“There are reports that this man was our friend. I don’t know him. We never had men in our house. The police told us that a suspect was arrested and we read on Facebook that this man is known to us, but he is not,” Govindasamy said.

He pleaded with people to stop sharing “fake stories” on social media.

“The police need the space and time to do their investigation. It is also so hurtful to read people’s statuses assuming what had happened. People need to stop spreading lies and should wait for the police to reveal the outcome of their investigation,” he said.

ALSO READ: 

Source inputs: The Mercury, TimesLIVE

“Jonita

About Indianspice Staff Reporter

Report and write stories for Indianspice.co.za. It is our ambitious goal to cover issues/events/news concerning South Africa and the diaspora.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.