Dros restaurant rapist sent for mental evaluation

The man accused of raping a seven-year-old leaves the court room in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court on November 1 2018. Image: Alaister Russell/The Sunday Times

#GAUTENG: The 20-year-old man accused of raping a seven-year-old girl in the bathroom of a Pretoria restaurant has been ordered to undergo a 30-day mental evaluation.

He appeared briefly in the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday where the court ordered that he should undergo a mental evaluation in a bid to determine whether he has the capacity to understand court proceedings.

The evaluation also aims to determine whether he was of sound mind when he allegedly committed the crime at a Dros restaurant in September 2018.

Prosecutor Sanet Jacobson told the court that a bed had been made available at Weskoppies psychiatric hospital and this would allow the suspect to undergo mental observation.

What happened prior to the alleged rape incident?

According to a witness that spoke to the Citizen newspaper reporter said the man was “stalking his prey” while she was playing in the children’s area of Dros Watermeyer restaurant in Silverton.

The witness claimed the man was sitting alone in the smoking section, where he asked for a glass of water, saying he was waiting for a friend.

Shortly afterwards, the man moved nearer to the restaurant’s play area and started watching the girl, who was on her own.

Moments later, the child went to the bathroom and the man followed, the witness said.

“He allegedly snatched her from the female rest room, blocked her mouth and took her to the men’s rest room where he allegedly raped her.”

Source: TimesLIVE


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.