Mutton Pulao is a dish fairly common in North Indian, South Indian and Pakistani and Turkish cuisine that incorporates mutton into a rice pilaf. The rice used is almost invariably Basmati or a close variant.
Ingredients Of Mutton Pulao
- 350 gm mutton/lamb – chops-pricked
- 2 cups rice – washed and soaked
- 4 black cardamoms
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 4 whole red chillies
- 6 cloves
- 1 inch piece cinnamon-broken roughly
- 4 tbsp ghee
- 1 cup onions – sliced uniformly
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 tsp all spice – powdered
- 2 cups hot water – for the rice
- Pinch of food colour
How to Make Mutton Pulao
- 1.Heat the ghee in a pan and add the cardamom, peppercorns, red chillies and cloves.
- 2.When they darken a bit, add the onions and cook till transparent.
- 3.Add the meat, salt and chilli powder, all spice.
- 4.Stir fry till meat is opaque and add two cups of water.
- 5.Bring to a boil and lower the heat and cook covered till meat is tender.
- 6.Strain the meat and keep aside.
- 7.Measure the liquid and make up to three cups by adding hot water.
- 8.Mix liquid, meat and rice together.
- 9.Bring to a boil, lower the heat and cook covered for five minutes.
- 10.Sprinkle the colour in a trail and continue to cook covered for seven minutes. Serve hot.