New Zealand suspends cricket match in wake of Christchurch terror attack

The New Zealand cricket team, the Black Caps, announced it would suspend its Saturday match with Bangladesh in the wake of the Christchurch terrorist attacks.

“Our heartfelt condolences go out to the families and friends of those affected by the shocking situation in Christchurch,” the team said in a statement.

Members of the Bangladesh cricket team were almost caught up in the attack. The team bus was pulling up at one of the mosques when the shooting began.

A gunman who opened fire inside the Masjid Al Noor mosque live-streamed his attack in a 17-minute video that appeared to be recorded on a helmet camera.

The Facebook video started with the man driving up to mosque in Christchurch. After parking his car, he armed himself with at least one semi-automatic gun and walked into the mosque, immediately shooting a person in the doorway.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has described the shooting as “one of New Zealand’s darkest days”.

The shooting took place at Masjid al Noor in central Christchurch and another mosque. Masjid al Noor was filled with worshippers, when the attack happened, as it was a second mosque in suburban Linwood.

Narrow escape for Bangladesh cricket team

Members of the Bangladesh cricket team were about to reach when the shooter opened fire.

Bangladesh Cricket Board spokesman Jalal Yunus said most of the players were about to go inside when shooting began.

“They are safe. But they are mentally shocked. We have asked the team to stay confined in the hotel,” he said.

He said Bangladesh cricket board is in contact with New Zealand cricket authorities and would take further decisions after consultation.

Bangladesh cricketer Tamim Iqbal tweeted that it was a “frightening experience” and that there were “active shooters”.

“Entire team got saved from active shooters!!!” he tweeted.

A Palestinian man in the mosque, who did not want to give his name, said he saw a man shot in the head.

“I heard three quick shots then after about 10 seconds it started again it must have been an automatic no one could pull a trigger that quick,” he said.

“Then people started running out. Some were covered in blood.”

About Indianspice Staff Reporter

Report and write stories for It is our ambitious goal to cover issues/events/news concerning South Africa and the diaspora.