SRI LANKA: Death toll 359 dead, 58 detained

The death toll from the Easter suicide bombings in Sri Lanka rose to 359, police said on Wednesday, 24 April, adding that more suspects have been arrested overnight raising the total detained to 58.

As many as 10 Indians are among those dead in the bombings that struck three churches and three high-end hotels.

On Tuesday, the Islamic State claimed responsibility for the devastating blasts in the island nation and identified the seven suicide bombers who were involved in the attacks, through its Amaq news agency.

Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe too admitted that there had been prior intelligence warnings about the attacks in the country, including on the Indian High Commission in Colombo.

  • Nearly 58 suspects, including the driver of a van allegedly used by the suicide bombers, have been arrested so far in connection with the attacks
  • Sri Lankan authorities have blamed a local extremist group, National Towheed Jamaar for the attack
  • The churches targeted include St Anthony’s Church in Colombo, St Sebastian’s Church in Negombo and another church in Batticaloa
  • The hotels targeted include the Shangri La, the Cinnamon Grand and the Kingsbury

Death Toll Rises to 359: Police

The death toll from the Easter suicide bombings in Sri Lanka rose to 359, police said on Wednesday, 24 April, adding that more suspects have been arrested overnight raising the total detained to 58.

Hours Before the Attack, India Had Warned Sri Lanka: Report

Two hours before a series of suicide bombing killed nearly 300 people in Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday, Indian intelligence officers had tipped off their Sri Lankan counterpart, reported Reuters quoting sources.

Sri Lanka PM Says Prior Intelligence Inputs Warned of Attacks Including on Indian HC

Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe admitted on Tuesday that there had been prior intelligence warnings about the attacks in the country, including on the Indian High Commission in Colombo, reported PTI.

Talking to reporters, he also said that there will be changes in the top positions of the security establishment following the deadly Easter Sunday suicide bombings which killed 321 people and injured over 500.

Wickremesinghe said there had been prior intelligence warnings on the attacks including on the Indian High Commission.

ISIS Suspect Arrested in India Gave Advance Warning of Sri Lanka Bombings: Report

Advance warning from India’s intelligence services to Sri Lankan officials attacks came from an ISIS suspect arrested in India who named one of the bombers, CNN reported quoting sources.

During interrogation, the suspect named a man he trained in Sri Lanka, who is associated with a local extremist group blamed in the bombings, according to CNN.

SL Prez Says Intelligence Report Warning of Attacks Wasn’t Shared With Him

Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena on Tuesday said the intelligence report warning of attacks was not shared with him, as he expected to change the heads of defence forces within 24 hours, reported Reuters.

A Reuters report citing sources also claimed that Sri Lankan intelligence officials were warned by their Indian counterparts about a threat to churches only two hours before the bombings took place.

TN Thowheed Jamath Says it Halted ISIS from Spreading its Tentacles in State

The Tamil Nadu Thowheed Jamath on Tuesday denied any links with the Sri Lanka based National Thowheed Jamath which is suspected of plotting the Easter Sunday blasts and reaffirmed its commitment to democracy.

The Tamil Nadu-based outfit has a significant clout especially among the Muslim youth for its stand on firmly toeing Islamic tenets.

It said its work ensured that ideology of the ISIS did not find any takers in the state.

(PTI)

Two Suicide Bombers Sons of Influential Businessman: Report

Two of the suicide bombers involved in the Sri Lanka blasts were the sons of a millionaire businessman, spice trader and member of Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna party, identified as Mohammed Yusuf Ibrahim, according a Firstpost report citing Indian intelligence sources.

The sons were 33-year-old Imsath Ahmed Ibrahim and 31-year-old Ilham Ahmed Ibrahim who are said to have carried out the attacks at the Cinnamon Grand and Shangri-La hotels, the report said.


About Indianspice Staff Reporter

Report and write stories for Indianspice.co.za. It is our ambitious goal to cover issues/events/news concerning South Africa and the diaspora.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.