#DURBAN: Sandra Moonsamy ‘is in good keeping’ according to Brigadier Gops Govender who spoke to journalists outside Durban Magistrates court.
“For security reasons, all I will say [is] she is in good keeping. It will be wrong to say where she is for security reasons,” investigating officer Brigadier Gops Govender told journalists on Monday.
On the first day of appearance, following the successful rescue of Moonsamy media were barred from publicizing any material that could jeopardise the case.
The state had filed an urgent application to have the matter heard in-camera, meaning that members of the public and media would be excluded from attending the hearing to protect the identities of the four men.
The four accused appeared in-camera – meaning no media or public were allowed at the proceedings. This is most likely to protect the case and the link to an international crime syndicate which is under investigation.
The Moonsamy family were not present at Monday’s first case at the Durban Magistrates Court.
Outside court, Hawks spokesperson Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi confirmed that the accused – aged between 30 and 34 – had been charged with kidnapping, extortion, robbery and two counts of attempted murder, and remaining in the country without a valid permit.
“The case has been postponed, pending further investigation until November 18. The order of the court [is that] the names and details of the suspects not be published to not compromise the investigation.”
He said they were working closely with the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA).
“Things are moving swiftly and the team is working closely with the NPA. Once everything is collated, we will be able to share more. We appeal to everyone to give the investigating team space without hindrance.”
On Friday, the Hawks confirmed that four people had been arrested in connection with the kidnapping of Moonsamy. They had allegedly demanded R140m for her release.
Moonsamy was kidnapped in May on the M13 in Stapleton Road, Pinetown, while driving her black Range Rover. The Hawks confirmed that Moonsamy had been found alive in Witbank on Thursday evening.
He added that one of the men arrested could be a senior member of the syndicate, but that this could not be officially confirmed at this stage in the investigation.
The syndicate allegedly behind the kidnapping may be involved in the kidnappings of Pretoria businessman Omar Carrim and Johannesburg businessman Shiraz Ghatoo, which were reportedly linked to the case through evidence, The Saturday Star reported.
The case involving the four suspects arrested in connection with the the Sandra Moonsamy kidnapping has been remanded to 18 November.