NEWS: India marked the end of the 21-day lockdown in the country today, 14 April however the government has extended the lockdown in its efforts to curb the spread of Covid-19.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his address to the nation has announced a lockdown extension till May 3, reports India Today. The PM went on to stress that hotspots will be surveilled with “extended vigilance” and “harsh steps” will be taken to curb the spread of coronavirus till April 20, reports News18. Certain “relaxations” are to be granted to some areas during the lockdown. Those relaxations, however, will be immediately taken back if a COVID-19 case is reported from the area.
PM Modi also went on to underline 7 steps to be followed during the lockdown. They are:
- Take proper care of the senior citizens of your house, especially those with underlying problems.
- Lockdown and social distancing should be properly followed. Home-made face covers and masks should be used.
- Increase your immunity by following directions given by Ayush Ministry.
- To help curb coronavirus spread, download Aarogya Setu application.
- Wherever possible, help poor families.
- In your businesses, help your coworkers, don’t downsize people.
- Coronavirus ‘soldiers’ like doctors, nurses, sanitation workers should be respected.
“Detailed guidelines” on the lockdown is to be issued tomorrow which focuses on providing some relief to the economically backward classes. The PM ended his address by asking everyone to be vigilant and sincerely abide by the lockdown for their good health.